Friday 9 September 2011

Tasty Pan Mee and dinner at Gao Ren Guan, Jaya One

Took a break from counting yesterday and decided to focus on today's meal. It was really hard trying to control dinner portions and I'm realizing that trying to find cheap healthy options for lunch at work is tough. Most quick food out there are not very healthy and if they are, they usually come with bigger price tags.

Chilli 'Pan Mee' at Face to Face 
Not entirely sure what went into this. But we can safely assume that the main ingredients include the following:
Thick egg noodles - 310 calories
One egg - 65 calories
Fried dried shrimp and chilli - 36 calories
Minced pork sauce - 140 calories
Oil - 123 calories
Total 674 calories

Oh dear, the meal was really tasty but that number doesn't look good at all. The damage during dinner may be even worse and I don't think I'm going to like this tabulation. Let's see how much my picky eating helped.

Dinner comprised of 7 small dishes at Gao Ren Guan
My family, especially my mom, love coming to this place. It serves up food that is similar to what we have at home, is near my mom's house and has reasonable prices. Of course it is more expensive to eat out, afterall, you have to pay the person doing all the cooking and cleaning on your behalf. The only inconvenient thing was me staring at delicious food and having to think twice whether I would be able to burn it during the next gym session.

Fried Threadfin with soya sauch - 518 calories

Fried tofu - 924 calories (I'm surprised as well)

Fried long beans and roast pork - 403 calories

Pork stomach in rice wine soup - 260 calories

Pork rib curry - 603 calories

There were two other dishes that we ordered. Unfortunately, I must apologize for forgetting to take pictures of them. I wasn't able to specifically state down ingredients for each food, as I am short of time. However, if anyone wants to know, just send me a message and I'll break it down. The total calories contained in the above is approximatekly 2,708. But it was split between 6 family members. My portion was about 451 calories and if I add the other two dishes, my meal would hover round the 600 calorie mark.

I didn't manage to eat under my BMR today. But at least I didn't burst the cap and I enjoyed my meals.

1 comment:

  1. I have a tip for occasions when you can't avoid eating over your BMR, gathered from my own experience. It may sound like common sense, but it's not that simple. What you can do is make a commitment to walk for 30 minutes a day (in addition to any usual exercise that you do). Why a 30-minute walk ? Unlike the proper exercise routine people usually do in an exercise session, walking is not vigorous and so doesn't drain your energy and can also be done after a heavy meal if you are short of time. For these reasons, a 30-minute walk can be incorporated into even the most hectic or busy lifestyle. For a 64kg man (like me) a 30-minute walk burns 128 calories, the greater the weight, the higher the calories burned. 128 calories may not sound like much, but if you overeat just a little bit or ate at maintenance calorie, you can still achieve a caloric deficit. Be strict though, get a timer or a stopwatch, pause the timer or stopwatch when you stop walking for a toilet break or when attending to something else, so that you can be sure you actually did walk for 30 minutes. Of course, you don't have to stop at 30 minutes, if you have the time.

    ReplyDelete